This table shows the timeline for summer internships.
Process and Important Dates:
The GlobalWorks International Internship Program application and placement is a 3-step process.
Step 1: UO Program Application
Please apply as soon as you are ready. December 15 is the early bird deadline for Summer 2020. We will review applications as they come in. The benefit of submitting early is that the internship placement process gets started early. January 15 is the regular deadline. Please make sure all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. Your application will not be reviewed unless we have a complete application. Late applications may be accepted depending on program availability. Please contact us if you are not able to submit the application by the deadline. Please make sure you work with the Career Center to have your cover letter and resume reviewed before you submit. This will help expedite the placement process. The application deadlines for Academic Year programs are flexible as there is less competition for academic year compared to summer. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Step 2: Internship Placement
We work with internship providers in each country to place students. The placement is very individualized. Students usually have one placement interview at a time. It is not common to interview with multiple companies/organizations at the same time. It is very important to check and respond to emails from the UO committee, the internship provider, and your potential host company promptly during this process.
Step 3: Departure Preparation
If you do not have a passport, please apply for one as soon as you confirm your participation in the GlobalWorks Internship Program. As you work with the internship provider on the placement, we will work with you on the paperwork required by the UO for international internship programs. In our pre-departure orientations in Spring term, we will cover all the logistics such as safety info, travel insurance, emergency contact info and etc.
Required Application Materials
- A completed Online Application Form. You only need to submit one application form to apply for any and all GlobalWorks locations that interest you.
- A cover letter addressed “To Whom it May Concern” discussing the strengths and interest in sector of your choice. Please use this cover letter template as a guide.
- A current resume; it is strongly advised that you work with the Career Center to have your cover letter and resume reviewed before you submit your application.
- Official UO transcripts to be sent to: GSI, 110 Gerlinger Hall-UO, Eugene, OR 97403. Electronic transcripts can be sent to email@example.com.
- Two letters of reference on letter head if possible, one from a faculty member who can comment on the significance of this internship to your course of study and a second from a current or former work supervisor. These letters need to be addressed to “To Whom It May Concern” and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For recommendation letter help, please see our recommendation request guide.
- Fall: April 15 and June 15*
- Winter: September 15*
- Spring: November 15*
- Summer: December 15 (early bird deadline); January 15 (regular)
*For fall, winter, and spring internships, application deadlines may vary depending on location. If you are interested in a fall, winter, or spring internship, please request an appointment with GlobalWorks staff for advising.
Please contact Yifang Zhang, GlobalWorks Program Manager