China is a fascinating place in which to work and live, culturally, linguistically and socially. Interning in one of China’s most exhilarating cities (Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen), you will be given the opportunity to become immersed in every aspect of this exciting country. This program allows interns to work with professionals in a social media market with the world’s biggest Internet user base.
Internship duties may include:
- Create marketing materials and strategies through various media platforms
- Develop ideas and designs using new materials for various business needs
- Work on layout design and art work using a range of media, such as photography and computer-aided design
- Support editorial projects: client interviews, restaurant write-ups, event write-ups, and weekly blogging
Internship assignments vary. While internships help develop technical abilities, they provide more fundamental life skills. Interns will get an introduction to the professional world as well as the opportunity to gain career ready competencies in critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and global and intercultural fluency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work independently
- Flexibility to take on multiple job responsibilities, including entry level tasks
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and deal with ambiguity
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team
- Strong attention to accuracy, details, and organizational skills
Students will enroll in 2 courses for a total of 12 quarter credits.
Course #1: GlobalWorks International Internship
This internship helps students connect their academic studies to practical applications. Students develop professional skills while gaining exposure to the dynamic culture and lifestyle in their host country.
Course #2: Intercultural Communication (online)
This course is designed to provide ongoing support to students doing internships abroad. Students will observe, explore and investigate the core cultural values in their host country during the internship, conduct comparison in the differences between their host and home country, and develop critical thinking skills and culture learning strategies. A weekly assignment for the online course includes: reading assignments, group discussions and a weekly journal. It will begin one week before your internship begins and end one week after completion. Due to the intense nature of interning, in addition to taking the 4-credit course, we recommend you do not enroll for any other classes during the internship period.
Minimum GPA: 2.75
There are no language requirements, though students with proficiency in the local language will have more internship placement options.
Estimated program costs and a detailed budget of projected expenses can be found on the Locations and Costs page.
Please contact Yifang Zhang, GlobalWorks Program Manager