Virtual Internships – Fall 2020!
Virtual internships allow you to jump-start your career with relevant and valuable work experience in a global environment. They also allow you to develop new global networks of professionals in your desired industry. Working remotely, students will have the flexibility to work with an organization located in a specific international location or work in their preferred internship sector anywhere in the world.
Many companies already conduct work through geographically dispersed teams around the globe. Having experience in this virtual work environment will give you these valuable skills necessary to be successful in a global context:
- Intercultural competence – gain cognitive flexibility on how to approach cultural differences
- Agility – learn to navigate real-world challenges across time zones and cultural boundaries
- Remote technology readiness – practice with virtual platforms and new communication techniques
- Problem-solving finesse – test and practice theories and knowledge learned in class into real-world problem solving through guided experiential learning cycle
- Creativity – take new ideas into effective action
The GlobalWorks Virtual Internships Include:
- Customized internship placement in the country and industry sector of your choice
- Project-based work
- Professional development activities
- Regular career coaching
- Internship monitoring and check-ins
Internship Locations and Options:
- Costa Rica
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- and more
In the application, you will be asked to choose from the following two tracks:
1. Career field focus: students will be guaranteed a placement in the sector of their choice in any of the city offerings. This option works well for students flexible about the location of the internship company.
2. International focus: students will be guaranteed a placement in the location of their choice. They will need to be more flexible about the career fields. This option works well for students who have a couple of specific locations in mind.
*More international locations may be available. For those students who are outside of the U.S. in Fall, please contact email@example.com. We might be able to place you in an onsite internship position. Please contact us for more details.
- Start date: mid/late October
- End date: flexible
- Program length: 8 weeks
- Working hours: 20-40 hours/week
Students can earn 6-12 quarter credits through two courses: a 4-credit online intercultural communication course and an internship course. For each internship credit, students need to work at least 30 hours. The number of credits for the internship course depends on the number of hours of the internship. For example, if a student works 30 hours per week for 8 weeks, they earn 8 UO internship credits. If a student works 20 hours per week for 8 weeks, they earn 6 credits.
UO Students: GlobalWorks program fees are paid via the UO student account (DuckWeb), just like regular UO tuition and fees.
Non-UO Students: GlobalWorks program fees may be billed to you directly or via your home institution. Contact us for any questions.
Please submit your online application by Sunday, August 12 at 5 pm.
UO Students, please go to this link to apply.